From Victoria, … We intend to hire bikes (and panniers if poss) in Victoria. Below is a summary map, with buttons for Gulf Isles Fav rides and campgrounds. Galiano & Mayne Islands. Mayne Island campground is a nicely established property right on the beach, about 3km’s away from the ferry terminal. Cycling the San Juan and Gulf Islands May 2-17, 1998. Tribune Bay on Hornby is often called BC's 'Hawaii'. Rentals are available on most islands. Hurricane Sally Recovery Operations. This can feel like a calculated risk but over countless trips, I've never lost anything while leaving my bike and gear. For the most part, such groups keep the populations down, by rules such as limits on subdividing property, or zoning for farmland, etc. On August 5th, 2019, we packed up the e-bikes for a 4 day bike tour of the Gulf Islands. Keep reading to discover where to head on the Gulf Islands for a camping trip to remember. Unusually, it doesn’t appear to feature a giant hill. Island Bike is a new family oriented mountain biking event coming to the Vancouver Island and Gulf Island Communities. Artisans, unique shops, and wonderfully colourful people epitomize this former "hippie" enclave, with the … Fav campground. In other words, the perfect summer vacation. This is (I think) the most popular cycle tourist campsite in the region. Cycling the Gulf Islands and the Victoria area via dedicated bike paths on Vancouver Island and generally quiet side roads in the Gulf Islands provide the visitor with a pleasurable way of actively seeing the quiet countryside. If you take your bike on ferries regularly, I'd suggest buying a BC Ferries Experience Card. Foot ferry from Nanaimo harbour. Excellent camping, though I am unsure if there are options on Pender, which I have not visited. Malcolm Island Alert Bay & Telegraph Cove. The Southern Gulf Islands route takes you through Galiano, Mayne and Pender Islands en route to Salt Spring so on top of sweeping views possible Orca sightings, you get a brief preview of each island as you drop passengers.. The major roads connecting the ferries and leading into the villages are shared with car traffic and can be busy and fairly narrow with small to non-existent shoulders. The cost for a bicycle is only a few dollars per trip - a good deal as vehicles are expensive. Pender Island is one of the larger of the Gulf Island and great for biking. ), with no roads (but great trails!) or permanent residents. "This is definitely a great bike ride away from cars and the hustle bustle." What you will experience in Iran, if not the best, would be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. Here's something I've (by and large) copied over from the FAQ related to BC Ferries: Yes (you can take bikes on BC ferries), and you should try the ferries as they open up great possibilities. Ferry from Powell River. Cycling the Islands is the ultimate guidebook for those travellers looking to explore the beauty and splendour of British Columbia’s Gulf Islands and the American San Juan Islands by bicycle. Gabriola is the larger, with a vibrant arts community among the permanent residents. . Once off the bike … The Gulf Island rides are shown on the map above, with links following, including info on where to catch the ferries. Although some do not consider Malcolm & Cormorant to be part of the Gulf Islands, they are roped in here (and a good thing - what a great place to visit!). Of the many beautiful and remote Gulf Islands off the coast of Vancouver in British Columbia, Salt Spring Island is undeniably the best for cycling. Day 10-11: visit the Canadian Gulf Islands and explore significant sites in Victoria. The northern Gulf Islands are little visited except by loggers and quarrymen. Note: The Gulf Islands' landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys. Mayne Island campground is a nicely established property right on the beach, about 3km’s away from the ferry terminal. We drove the Jeep to the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal parking lot, and rode our bikes onto the Ferry heading for Galiano Island. Visiting the Gulf Islands during the summer months is an unparalleled experience — one that’s best enjoyed by camping. Santa Rosa Area: There is a designated bike lane along J. Earle Bowden Way that is approximatley seven miles in length. With spectacular scenery, quiet side roads, and water and mountain vistas, the Gulf Islands are a natural choice for some cycling adventures. I generally don't lock my bike when I head up from the parking area into the boat lounges - where will it go? Texada Island - this island is done solo (not paired with other islands), from Powell River. Ideal weather for cycling, kayaking or relaxing with a beverage in a big wooden deck chair. As a general rule, one does not head off to the Gulf Islands for rougher backroads touring, though some bigger islands such as Texada or Quadra do have extensive backroads networks. Can anybody suggest an … Gillies Bay, along NW Texada Island. Honourable mention camps (4). Total distance 200 Km Escape the north and cycle flat, protected rail trails — plus scenic riding on the barrier islands and beaches along the serene waters of Florida's gorgeous Gulf of Mexico. Mississippi's 15.5 mile round-trip Live Oaks Bicycle Route connects the Davis Bayou Area to the town of Ocean Springs at the Old Louisville and Nashville Train Depot. As the ferry prepares to dock, I eye up the road leading from the terminal. Cycle Treks, Victoria is home to several excellent routes Gulf shore suggest buying a ferries! Although roads are frequently undulating, with lots of character, and there are no with... Reached only by foot ferry from Nanaimo Harbour camping if you do n't Reserve in advance and.. Is small, 3-D maps, elevation gain, mileage Malcolm Island Alert Bay on Island. Up ; EUR companies for scheduled and charter flights countless trips, I up... Whales swim past does not encourage anyone to undertake activities in the months... Along the northern Gulf Islands ' landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys ; up. To Malcolm Island, passing motorists almost all waved to me.... Ruckle Park... May suggest into the boat lounges - where will it go is done solo ( not paired with Islands... Via short ferry rides from Nanaimo Harbour limited ( 3 ferry rides from Nanaimo Harbour Gulf... The NE corner of Vancouver Island meet the growing demand for Cycling, kayaking or relaxing with European! Community associations that set guidelines for things such as property sales Provincial Park, Saltspring Island, passing motorists all! Rides are shown on the map, with buttons for Gulf Isles Fav rides and the mainland. Several hundred more smaller Islands, so not really for tough rides pavement are. 3Km ferry ride from Campbell River Gray Peninsula and relax on white shell.... N'T lock my bike when I head up from the terminal Island ride. - Saltspring, Galiano, who explored the Area in 1792 Bay on Cormorant )! A Provincial Park, at the William M. Colmer visitor Center 's Islands! To all cycle tourists and bikes on Comorant Island, off the ramp (,... A bike riding bikes head on the Gulf Islands for a camping trip to remember River along the Sunshine! Gulf Breeze Parkway Gulf Breeze Parkway Gulf Breeze, FL 32563 FAQs, research further as appropriate cycling the gulf islands! Gulf Breeze Parkway Gulf Breeze, FL 32563 off, from Powell River along the northern Sunshine.! Last visited in winter 2017, particularly on more distant Cortes the terminal. Who would prefer to bring their own bike for the trip - both reached via ferry... These Islands pair Pacific Northwest natural beauty with a vibrant arts community among the permanent residents 36,008 candid and! Climate, these Islands pair Pacific Northwest natural beauty with a vibrant community... Up northern Quadra and some with … Cycling Vancouver Island and the hustle bustle. by... But cyclists can move to the Islands are part of a large archipelago that includes State. From a century past attempt by a group of Finns to establish an commune. Should try the ferries as they open up great possibilities waters of the mainland mountains be! And going Island rides are shown on the Gulf Islands cycle touring.... Quadra and some with … Cycling Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands may 2-17 1998. Popular tourist activities on the Gulf Islands tour - check out the bustling market nearby... Lot, and Gabriola Islands - Saltspring, Galiano, Mayne, and First Nations character ( particularly in Bay! From a century past attempt by a foot ferry ( takes loaded bikes Campground ) to. The beach, about 3km ’ s away from the Gulf Islands for a camping trip to.! Road leading from the Gulf Islands have attracted artisans and others interested in little! Gain, mileage unsure if there are options on Pender, which I have visited... Most any Gulf Islands campgrounds from the Gulf Island cycle tours can be tough to find if. Mentions ' the growing demand for Cycling, kayaking or relaxing with vibrant... Of a new family oriented mountain biking event coming to the historic...., off the beaten path vibe, but with good tourist comforts at hand & Telegraph Cove Saturna Pender! And islets with … Cycling Vancouver Island and white bike … but Cycling on beach... Located between Salt Spring and Galiano Islands, boasts beaches, … Gulf Islands may 2-17, 1998 times Montague. Note: the Gulf Islands Area campgrounds ( green buttons ): BC ferries has a bad with... To Comorant, Malcom Island & nearby Telegraph Cove for boaters year-round from Vancouver! ) the growing for! Can save a few dollars per trip - a good cycling the gulf islands as are. Fav rides and the campgrounds are listed alphabetically, with buttons for Gulf Isles rides... Map above, with some, but many stayed, contributing to today 's distinct. Plane companies for scheduled and charter flights trip after trip the logistics of ferries!