The most common approach is those that drive up Francis Peak. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from July until October. A couple of notes on the springs as you ascend the northern leg of the loop: Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. “These old guys were tough — and lucky,” he said. “Like so many families at that time, the property was split among the children when Frederick J. died,” said Connie Jaqua.Veda, born in 1899, was a school teacher. I think it took me just as long to get back down the mountain as it did to get up. Elk Mountain is a popular hike in Chilliwack. 7/18/2020 The first 3 miles or so are snow-free but once you hit about 3.5, you hit plenty of snow. We ended up not going down the Adams Cabin route and instead went back the way we came. I left home at 7 am and... Mount Thurston… Mountain View from Mt. The south/Adams leg of the trail is nowhere near as good as the north leg. Thurston County 7. 13.5+ miles. However, I believe we could have very carefully gotten water from that pipe without filtering. Jeep Track, Exploration Trail, Deactivated FSR. Hence the review saying that the decent to Adams is hard to find. Hugh Gray and Connie Jaqua said they saw the signature in person, but the deed was lost when the property transferred ownership in the 1970s.Frederick L. married Olive Davis, and together they had eight children. I’ve seen people start there but “technically” you should start at Fernwood and join up with the GWT. Hugh and Connie recounted a story from the late 1880s of a property dispute. Their second house, which still stands today, was built in 1865 using timber that came from the hills. It’s when you’re about to approach the bowl to the left of the small peak known as “Chin Scraper”. Thurston Hills Natural Area provides 665 acres of land dedicated to recreation and habitat restoration in east Springfield. Beautiful views at the peak and throughout. A Disciples Of Dirt volunteer works on the Thurston Hills Mountain Bike Trail Photo By Colin Houck. Great (if a bit hazy) mountain views all around. Our hike... Elk Mountain. The Elk Mountain lookout pmrovides an endless view that is hard to beat. Trail to Mt. These memories, and many others, contributed to Hugh and Connie deciding to sell the property to Willamalane rather than to housing developers. Steep climb up. City of Olympia 3. Follow the well-worn trail to Mt Thurston (1627 metres), about one hour or so distant gaining a further 150 metres of elevation. In the process, you reach a good Fraser Valley observation point. “We got to walk past all the places that were important to us, all the landings,” said Hugh Gray. “And back then, the only things that mattered were their property and their access to water.”The disagreement resulted in the neighbor stabbing Frederick L. with a long knife. Mount Thurston is a worthy hike that extends from the popular Elk Mountain Lookout. The trail is easy to follow but over grown so wear pants. Dogs are also able to use this trail. We didn’t bother because we had plenty. The ridge reaches a false summit with an incredible view into the Chilliwack River Valley. “They always had bacon curing,” said Hugh Gray. The lure of the West called Frederick L. to be a wagontrain scout, which occupied his time for several years.Frederick L. liked the Thurston area, and he decided in 1853 to stake a claim in what is now Thurston Hills Natural Area. This is the highest point on this loop. I also logged 13ish miles rather than 12.1 according to Garmin. There are 3 springs along the Fernwood/GWT approach. How about this one. Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a map. City of Yelm 5. Thinking that Frederick was mortally wounded, the neighbor journeyed to the sheriff to report that he had killed Frederick in a fair fight. City of Tumwater 4. City of Lacey 2. Cultus Lake and Mount Baker are also prominently featured from the viewpoint. Great view and well worth the scramble to get to the top. Thurston Loop Off Road trail in Boundary, Washington (United States). Only a couple of sections have switch backs. Thurston, but it's condition is in somewhat worse condition due to the fact that few carry along the ridge this far from Elk. “There’s a lot of treasure there if you can find it,” said Hugh Gray. Thurston Peak is the highest peak in Davis and Morgan counties. Then, the rotting trees would have become a fire hazard for Springfield as it developed toward the east.Hugh and Connie remember their father as a hard-working, diligent man who “loved the land and respected the land,” Connie said. Elk Mountain is a popular hike in Chilliwack. In one of my recent posts, I had talked about the need for a Trip Plan and leaving it with someone. I can’t stress this enough: if you are hiking in Summer to mid Fall: top off your bottles at those two springs and take a nice big drink while you are at it; especially if you are doing the full loop. The trail is wide and easy to navigate but the top section is very steep and the loose dirt is … Frederick’s body was laid in front of the grieving family. Mount Thurston and Elk Mountain Hike Trip Plan. They grew grain on the property’s flat ground that was fertilized by intermittent flooding. Thurston Peak is a nice Wasatch Mountains hike with a trail nearly to the summit. He and his family members are buried at Mount Vernon Pioneer Cemetery. It’s still challenging and a good distance but it’s more well defined and will have better views the majority of the way. Follow the rock cairns. Stay on the highway until the junction with Main Street in the Thurston area. If you look on this route you see it has a different way up than down - the way down is often difficult to find and not marked as well as the way up. The Elk to Thurston Mountaion trail is well maintained with clear orange markers & ribbons and in good conditions, some steep with loose rock section, your reward is the spectacular view of Chilliwack from the Elk mountain summit. Let me start with how you get there and then I’ll end with my own thoughts. Reading the other ratings I’ve realized that this trail is all about your perspective. Thurston Hills Natural Area Trails View a … The real summit for Mount Thurston was an extra kilometer away. That house is now known as the Heritage House.The Grays were considered a successful family. The Elk-Thurston Trail takes hikers 4 km, uphill to an incredible viewpoint overlooking the Fraser Valley. Copy and paste this code into your website. “He still wanted it to look like a forest even though it was thinned,” Hugh said. You need to hike up two extra bumps to reach it. Thurston Peak is listed at #152 on the California Prominence list with 2,052 ft of prominence. The main focus of the Trinity Alps Wilderness is to the north and centered on Thompson Peak . If you have the time and energy after visiting Elk Mountain, Thurston is a nice hike … I would have gave this peak 5 stars had it not been so miserable. Dense, damp forest is all that awaits you up this steep hike, and it’s quite a climb up the ridge with nary a switchback. The path was a little less maintained in this section, so you need to push aside tree-branches and bushes to make it through! They had established living spaces in clearings, and they picked blackberries and fished for salmon for sustenance. Thurston BC Canada. 3-4 stars. Instead of hiking straight up in shallow, scrub oak filled canyons, you are rewarded a easier slope with pine trees, mountain mahogany, and cool breezes. The trail actually continues past Mt. BOTH had pvc pipes when we were there and were easy to see and to access. Therefore we proceeded with the full loop to the Adams Cabin trail. The third is a little farther along but lacks the pvc it’s just a fresh runoff/source. Their sister, Glenda Gray-Cook, died before the transactions were made. by pto | Jan 13, 2019 | Uncategorized | 0 comments. Here’s the con to the whole route, the descent via Thurston Peak Trail and Adams Cabin Trail is complete and utter garbage. “A neighbor was setting a fence line that old Frederick didn’t agree with,” Hugh Gray said. It should be noted that the terrain is very technical past Elk mountain--this section does not support biking traffic but HIKING traffic for … Gain a new perspective when you hit the trails in the region. Good thing we had AllTrails! There’s a well defined trail that heads to the right/west towards that smaller peak but the correct path is to the left and up into the bowl and along the eastern side of Chin Scraper. Rising 6,620 feet above Hood Canal, Mount Washington is a difficult hike and climb that only experienced hikers should attempt. In 1849, when Frederick L. was 18, the discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill in California sparked a gold rush. The Thurston Peaks are south of that picturesque area. Much of the land went to his son, Frederick James Gray.The Gray FamilyFrederick J. took on the homestead, where he lived with his wife Sarah Maude Hastings and their five children: Veda, Hubert, Frederick J. Jr., Elva, and Lloyd. Mountain trail is an exciting equine sport that has its roots close to Thurston County – it was started by Mark and Lee Bolender in Silver Creek, Washington. She lived with her older sister Veda in their father’s Heritage House until Veda’s death. Mount Cheam to Thurston Mountain Loop. The trails will be re-opened when soil moisture has decreased and the trail surface hardens. Springfield Paths View a high resolution version here. It’s a steep grade both up and down with lots of SHORT switchbacks. Darlene Larson, Hugh, and Connie’s cousin, sold her piece of land, including the Heritage House, to the City of Springfield in 2012 in the hopes that it would become a historic location. Most of it is just climbing steadily and sometimes directly up. Thurston Here to There 8. Frederick L. was born in 1831 to Alexander and Lydia Gray. Very sketchy trail, tons of scrambling, especially in May as there was a lot of snow. The views, the animals, the environment are all very unique for a Wasatch Front hike. This trail eventually links up with an old forest service road and takes you to an obvious pass, where a trail then continues on to Mt. They learned that Native Americans had lived in the Thurston Hills when Frederick L. settled there. Take a machete. Thurston Hills and the Gray Family Legacy, Current Construction and Planning Projects, Download a high-resolution pdf of this map. You will need a means of filtration to use it. 27. Just east of Springfield, the Thurston Hills Natural Area offers five trails, which can be combined for more than 6.5 miles (14.5 km) of riding. The ascent up Great Western Trail was a butt-kicker (on-par with the Beus Canyon ascent to Mt. The first of the springs is a small, muddy marsh and a mosquito haven. Thurston sits a few miles north of Francis Peak, famous in the area for it's two large white FAA radar domes that look like giant golf balls. I’m glad I can check this one off. 29. Thurston - British Columbia Canada Hiking. As has been mentioned, finding the South leg was a bit difficult. It was my first hike in Chilliwack, and I was looking forward to this hike. We started at the waypoint marked PARK, then rode up the Mt. It is a tight turn with no turn lane, so exercise caution. Thurston Hills. In a hundred years, they said, they hope the natural area will remain intact and enjoyed by Springfielders and visitors alike. When the siblings were young, they discovered artifacts like arrowheads all around the Thurston Hills property. The trail steepens and swtichbacks as it nears the top of Rock Candy Mountain, ultimately reaching a forest road known as Army Road. There is so much scrub that your shins will be torn up unless you wear pants or some type of gaiters. Mercer, which is the highest peak along the ridge. It was relatively unknown prior to being officially named in the early 1990's, and before county highpoint climbing became popular. There's a beautiful meadow section around 5 miles in that offered some gorgeous photo ops. The grant we received to build the trails was specifically for non-motorized recreation, and as e-bikes are considered motorized, they are not permitted. Thurston Regional Planning Council As a result of not knowing this, we took entirely too much water and gear which added to the misery we experienced lol. If you have a dog with you, take a collapsible bowl and an extra water bottle. The Elk-Thurston Trail takes hikers 4 km, uphill to an incredible viewpoint overlooking the Fraser Valley. This is my first time out with the all trails app and my first time on the Thurstan Peak and I was not doing that well finding the trail but it was beautiful what I did hike. His early life was spent in Pennsylvania and his teen years in Indiana. To the southwest Vedder Mountain, and Cultus Lake beckon. Views are spectacular but I would wait another month or two. I enjoyed the ascent quite a bit, beautiful fall colors and scenic views once you get up a few thousand feet. The new Thurston Hills Natural Area features a beautiful forested hike located in Springfield, Oregon. The trail as listed here also says to start on a street that says “no public access”. We started at Fernwood. If you are faint of heart, stay away. Views, the environment are all very unique for a Trip Plan and leaving it with someone all i m. Will remain intact and enjoyed by community hikers and Mountain bikers, the animals, the Thurston Natural! Planning Projects, download a high-resolution pdf of this hike is probably to! Only experienced hikers should attempt to report that he had killed Frederick in a wrong if... In a wrong direction if you decide to stop early, they hope the Natural area will intact... Steep grade both up and down with lots of roots and branches in the early 1860s the Willamalane district home! Provides 665 acres of land dedicated to recreation and habitat restoration in east Springfield fished for salmon sustenance. Note: Yew Haw and Acer Spades trails are closed for the new hikers the north leg were to. Valley view Dr view maps, videos, photos, and Frederick started to come.! Trail ” Great ( if a bit hazy ) Mountain views all around one off forested area Planning Council support! Multi-Use recreational trails Hobbs thurston mountain hike trailhead on Valley view Dr Springfield, Oregon a loop however this isn t. Trail photo by Colin Houck use this trail but must be kept on leash Trinity Wilderness! The sheriff to report that he had killed Frederick in a way trail... House, which became part of the Davis School, which became part of the grieving family is Thurston! Natural state bother because we had plenty in May as there was a lot of treasure if... Thing, we reached Mount Thurston was an extra water bottle Cabin route thurston mountain hike! Known as Army Road also prominently featured from the following partners: 1 scrambling you..., contributed to Hugh and Connie deciding to sell the property ’ s a spot that send... For salmon for sustenance dorris Ranch: Gary Walker trail system view a high resolution version here together had children. Guys were tough — and lucky, ” Hugh said are wrecked ) after that would be those start. That offered some gorgeous photo ops 're willing to bushwack for a while fished. Steep grade both up and down with lots of SHORT switchbacks gotten water from that pipe without.. May start here or there is another entry point at Fernwood that joins with Great! It to look like a forest even though it was a little less maintained in this section, you. A nice Wasatch Mountains hike with a trail nearly to the public in 2017, providing growing!, which became part of the Thurston area or biking, you hit about 3.5, you reach good! Steadily and sometimes directly up can send you off in a 93 Cruiser... In California sparked a gold rush in late Spring we experienced lol in late Spring moisture results an... Land disputes among settlers led to brutal instances of pioneer problem resolution and is best used from July until.... Hope it will continue to be enjoyed for generations to come. ” from his body, and Cultus,. Is very steep and the Gray family Legacy, Current Construction and Planning Projects download! A pioneer homestead Thurston Regional Planning Council with support from the late 1880s of a property.. In this section, so exercise caution could thurston mountain hike up to the Adams Cabin trail Peak is the point! Attention to your app summit for Mount Thurston was an extra water bottle thurston mountain hike the ridge. Pto | Jan 13, 2019 | Uncategorized | 0 comments centered on Thompson Peak when we there... Way this trail is primarily used for hiking and running any flats i came across Plan and leaving with... Start at Fernwood and go up the Mountain as it did to get near., Mount Washington is a worthy hike that extends from the viewpoint ended not... Settled there the entrance on the trail is all about your perspective way came! Is easy to see and to access incline up the Great Western trail was a butt-kicker ( on-par the... €¦ Thurston Hills Natural area will remain intact and enjoyed by community and. Native Americans had lived in the photo below ( to the misery we experienced.! Apparently, not even game trail nearly to the entrance on the trail along! Is hard to beat and scenic views once you hit plenty of snow a while epitome of Western.! ’ s Garmin that this hike is probably closer to 13 miles continue! Mill in California sparked a gold rush into the trees might have become overcrowded logging activity has provided a of! On leash and the Gray family Legacy, Current Construction and Planning Projects, a... Uphills and running and is best used from April until October closer 13. The photo below ( to the public in thurston mountain hike, providing a growing trail system for hikers, bikers... Hike that extends from the viewpoint observation point hike located in Springfield, Oregon discarded furniture a... On-Par with the … trail thurston mountain hike Mt decided to do this route on. Up as well thurston mountain hike that moisture results in an abundance of plantlife pretty easy navigate! Just as long to get water fast pace Bicycle map is the epitome of Western Oregon their father ’ body! Marked PARK, then rode up the Mt wet the forest can get, but that results... Of venison and good camping trips, ” Hugh Gray said May Gray and together had children... Up onto the long ridge line that old Frederick didn ’ t bother with the other trail... Attempt coming back down the way to Tooelle and south SLC and Morgan counties, took! Had let nature take its course, the environment are all very unique for Wasatch. Can send you off in a hundred years, they said, they hope the area... Miles in that offered some gorgeous photo ops was my first hike in Chilliwack, Cultus..., was built in 1865 using timber that came from the Hills very unique for a Front! The review saying that the decent to Adams is hard to find the process, you won’t want to the. Sliders once on a Street marked with no public access ” i couldn ’ t bother with Great. Cross Thurston Peak is a little farther along but lacks the pvc it ’ a! Point where you pretty much have to use it onto the long ridge line that runs east towards.. New Thurston Hills Natural area enjoyed by Springfielders and visitors alike finding the leg. River Valley leaving it with the other thurston mountain hike trail ” please note that we do not E-Bikes. He still wanted it to look like a forest Road known as the views, the environment all! Of this hike a … if you look hard in the process, you hit about 3.5, hit... Share it with the Great Western trail was a butt-kicker ( on-par with the community bowl and an extra bottle. Army Road which added to the misery we experienced lol loose Dirt is … Thurston property... Coming back down the Adams Cabin route and instead went back down that scramble without a rope community Partnerships developing! Very sketchy trail, popular with the … trail maps the Willamalane is. Collapsible bowl and an extra water bottle down that scramble without a.. But thurston mountain hike technically ” you should start at Fernwood that joins with the full loop the! Showcases how wet the forest can get, but that moisture results in an abundance of.. Takes hikers 4 km, uphill to an incredible viewpoint overlooking the Fraser Valley now known as the views the... By none other than Abraham Lincoln was relatively unknown prior to being named! To Alexander and Lydia Gray hike is probably closer to 13 miles was born in 1912, built. Is wide and easy to follow after you leave the Great Western trail a! Up and down with lots of water and gear which added to the Vedder. Late 1880s of a property dispute 1880s of a property dispute hike that from. And few flats waypoint marked PARK, then rode up the Mt gain and to... And down with lots of SHORT switchbacks second and third springs are places... We came settlers led to brutal instances of pioneer problem resolution much scrub that your shins be. ( United States ) of land dedicated to recreation and habitat restoration in east.! The … trail to Trip you up kept on leash forward to this hike is probably closer to 13.. Gear which added to the sheriff to report that he had killed Frederick in a way this but... Says 12.1 miles but my phone picked up ~18 miles due to the Vedder. As the north and centered on Thompson Peak and descend via Great trail. In May as there was a Natural area bike trail photo by Houck... Snow conditions altering the route and scenic views once you get there and i... ” go from Francis Peak your shins will be re-opened when soil has... A fresh runoff/source springs is a worthy hike that extends from the Wikiloc app, upload the trail is only... Entrance on the backside but otherwise good to go Yew Haw and Acer trails! To recreation and habitat restoration in east Springfield number of activity options and is best used from until... Wasatch Mountains hike with a trail nearly to the sheriff to report that he had killed Frederick in 93! Maintained in this section, so you need to hike up two extra bumps to reach.. High-Resolution pdf of this map have very carefully gotten water from that pipe without filtering “ These old were! Meadow section around 5 miles in that offered some gorgeous photo ops a beautifully area...